Dr David Livingstone was paddled in a dugout canoe through swift rapids towards the roar and rising cloud of mist suspended above a cliff over which the whole of the mile wide Zambezi River plunged. The ‘Makoro’ (canoe) paddlers skilfully landed him on ‘Goat Island’ (now known as Livingstone Island) right on the lip of the chasm. A few steps through the small rainforest on 16thNovember 1855, he gazed upon one of the most spectacular sights in the world – ‘Mosi-o-Tunya’ (the smoke that thunders) which he named in honour of his Queen as The Victoria Falls.
- Minimum 2 pax – Maximum 16 pax
- Children between 5 and 8 years pay half price. Under 5 years are NOT Allowed
- Visits to the island are only during the ‘low water season’, which usually begins in mid-July and goes through to the end of January.
- Guest will need to climb in and out of a boat and over rocks on the island.
- Swimming in Devil’s Pool is only available between middle of August and end of January (depending on actual water levels)
- Special dietary requirements need to be communicated in advance.
- Because the island is very popular and has a maximum number of 16 pax at any one time it is advisable to book in advance to avoid disappointment.
- Return transfer by boat from the Royal Livingstone Sun deck
- A guided walking tour of the Island
- A guided swim in Devil’s Pool or the rock pools, depending on the season
- Raincoats and umbrellas when there is a lot of spray from the Falls
- A sit-down meal and drinks after the tour:
- Morning Breakfast Breezer – Eggs Benedict, muffins and scones, fresh fruit, coffee, tea and fruit punch
- Lunch – buffet lunch, with soft drinks, beer and wine
- Afternoon High Tea – light snacks, tea, coffee, , soft drinks, beer and wine
What you need to bring
- Comfortable/non slip shoes or sandals
- Camera – clients to handle this at their own risk, even if guides assist
- Hat/Cap, sunglasses
- Sunscreen and mosquito repellent
- A swimsuit when the pools are open
- Jacket/sweater in winter
Pick up times from the Royal Livingstone Hotel Sun Deck
- Morning visits – 07h15 for 07h30, 08h45 for 09h00 and 10h15 for 10h30 – returning after 1 ½ hrs.
- Lunch – 12h15 for 12h30 – returning at 15h00
- Afternoon visit (High Tea) – 15h15 for 15h30 and returning at 17h30